7.26.2012

Praying & hoping with faith . written word


Mom away..
Kylie at practice..
Dad at work..
Curled up in the cozy chair
& Prayed.
Alone for the sake of the silence.
For the sake of the peace.
For the sake of the prayers that are so much easier to hear in this silent house. 
I spent much of last night curled up on my roof with a prayer journal. Alone time is something I never have. The last seventeen hours have done my heart incredibly well. Silent thoughts are somehow so much more powerful than those that come out as words.
I reflected. 
My faith is constantly tested. Someone looked at me yesterday with hurtful intention and spoke words that broke my sensitive heart.
"Why are you a christian? When you pray to god, bad stuff still happens. It's all a lie. I'd rather believe in the truth of nothing at all than in the lie of a big man in the sky who watches us fall and doesn't pick us up again." 
Seriously so broken by this comment.
I had nothing to say. My words were in the pit of my stomach. I wanted to cry. 
I went home and started sifting through emails yesterday. An anonymous email was waiting for me.
"God's not real. You're wasting your time. You're way to pretty to be dumb enough to believe in the stuff they tell you in bible school. Stop with the long skirts and the Jesus obsessed blog." 
This is a clean version of the email. I have NEVER gotten an email like this. I am so incredibly blessed with an incredible support system. This shocked me. 
That was the third time in a single day that I encountered a person my age who did not have a stronghold with the lord. Three times in twelve hours and I began to feel like being one with the lord made me the odd one out. It's not necessarily the coolest thing in the world to write about the Lord on my blog and go to church on Sunday. Especially not at fifteen, but it is who I am.
 & my god what I would give for other teenagers to realize that they are only as good as who they choose to be, not as who they choose to make fun of. 

I am so incredibly blessed to be surrounded with a solid group of girls who don't necessarily walk a path with Jesus- but who respect my own. I am blessed to belong to a church community who helps steady my faith. I am blessed to have no fear in speaking my religious beliefs. I am blessed also- to respect all other religious practices. I am blessed to run this little corner of the internet that allows me to talk about Jesus in a really cool way. I am blessed to have many options for my future. I am blessed with never-ending fullness, forgiveness, and willingness. I am blessed with a guardian angel in heaven who I used to call omi. I am blessed with a beautiful family, home, and life. I am blessed to encounter one email like this in faith blogging. 

But what about those teenagers who don't have everything I have? 
What about those who are made fun of on a regular basis? 
What about those who are terrified to believe in god- because no one around them does? 
What about name calling? 
What about disrespect to the faithful? 
What about those discriminated against for believing in Jesus? 
What about those who want to know Jesus but can't find him? 

My heart hurts for those people. 
I find myself with this constant question- 
"Where does all the hate and disrespect come from?" 

& I find myself in an understanding. An understanding of how a teenager who doesn't know god could be skeptical of him. Look at what we as teenagers face everyday. The pressure, the crowds, the age differences, the exposure, the media, the pop culture, the stresses, the struggle. These feelings don't feel like their is some "big man in the sky" watching over us. At least not to many teenagers. 
At fifteen there are a million things to see and do. 
There is no thought of death because we feel as though we will live forever. 
We cannot see the end, because we have not even seen the beginning.  
There is no need for the lord. The world is good. Our hearts are naive. The talk is cheap.
& Sunday's are for sleeping in. 
Not to me though. 
Maybe to some. 
But not to me. 

I rely on the strength of the lord. 
As for your own path....I wish you the best of luck. As for your own religious preferences, I pray that they help you find what you are looking for. As for your own story- I pray that you write it loud and proud. As for your own memories, I hope that they are incredible. 
I hope this life gives you everything you've ever dreamed of. 
& I pray that maybe- you could do the same for me. 
“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven" 
Luke 6:37

8 comments:

  1. Hi, hailey
    I am being anonymous because I don't have an account. I am super upset someone would do that to you. If you ever need to talk, I am totally available to chat :) I want you to feel safe and loved throughout everyday of your young life.
    Love you honey
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, love. I wish Kayle was here to help you deal with this. I know it must be tough having three people in one day try & get you to change your ways & perspective on life. Just stay strong & true to your heart. God is always there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hailey Bug you know more than anybody that this life isn't perfect, but you've still chosen to believe in the Lord and have a strong relationship with him. And that's what's so admirable about you. When life knocked you down, you built your strength back up and learned accept God into your life. Don't listen to what anybody has to say. Wear what you want, say what you want, but most importantly be who you want to be. Much love, girly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are seriously such an amazing girl! It's not easy being so open about your faith especially when people are constantly judging you, you are AWESOME for standing up for what you believe in, God is going to do great things in your life. :] Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post is truly the most breathtaking an inspiration post you have ever written hailey. You do your best work in the presence of heartache and this was truly no exception, the lord is praising you so highly for this amazing piece of art like writing.

    I adore you sweet lady!
    Love,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness. My stomach seriously HURT when I read the part about the email. But being insulted for having a faith comes along with being a Christian. Stay strong, dear! Love & Hugs.
    {p.s. this is Nikki I totally forgot my password for my Gmail account so I had to do this anonymously.}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hailey, I am glad you are staying strong and not letting anything knock you down. I sent you a pretty long email in response to this. (I read the email before I read this.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you, all! I was more surprised about the fact that they had the nerve to even email me with those hurtful words, without even knowing me. But, I am praying & staying strong throughout it all.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for me & you'll receive a surprise!